EPEAT®-registered products meet strict environmental criteria that address the full product lifecycle, from energy conservation and toxic materials to product longevity and end-of-life management. EPEAT-registered products offer a reduced environmental impact across their lifecycles.
Over their lifetime, the 993.4 million EPEAT-registered electronics purchased globally since 2006 will deliver significant environmental benefits. Compared to products not meeting EPEAT criteria, these electronics will result in the reduction of 31 million metric tons of greenhouse gasses, elimination of 565,142 metric tons of hazardous waste, and will reduce solid waste by the equivalent of 199,051 U.S. households’ annual waste.
These lifecycle impacts and others are calculated using the Electronics Environmental Benefits Calculator, developed under a grant from the U.S. EPA. The Calculator is available near the bottom of this EPA webpage.
EPEAT’s Participating Manufacturers must annually report on their sales of all EPEAT registered products. Here are the highlights from the EPEAT 2015 Environmental Impacts Report:
Measurable benefits for the environment
Over their lifetime, compared to products that do not meet EPEAT criteria, the 130,847,660 EPEAT-registered IT purchased worldwide in 2016 alone will:
- Reduce use of primary materials by 15.3 million metric tons, equivalent to the weight of 46.5 Empire State Buildings
- Avoid the disposal of 105,342 metric tons of hazardous waste, equivalent to the weight of 10.5 Eiffel Towers
- Eliminate the equivalent of nearly 92,862 U.S. households’ annual solid waste—173,652 metric tons
EPEAT’s requirement that registered products meet the latest ENERGY STAR specifications means these products will consume less energy throughout their useful life, resulting in:
- Savings of 42.3 billion kWh of electricity—enough to power 3.3 million U.S. homes for a year
- Avoidance of more than 57,450 metric tons of water pollutant emissions
- Reduction of 7.8 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions— equivalent to taking more than 5.6 million average U.S. passenger cars off the road for a year
To calculate the environmental impacts from the purchase of a specific EPEAT-registered product, use the Electronics Environmental Benefits Calculator (EEBC).
Previous Years’ Environmental Benefits Reports
2011 Environmental Benefits Report
2010 Environmental Benefits Report
2009 Environmental Benefits Report
2008 Environmental Benefits Report
2007 Environmental Benefits Report