EPEAT®-registered products meet strict environmental criteria. From fewer toxins in manufacturing to efficient operation and easier recycling, EPEAT-registered products offer a reduced environmental impact across their lifecycles.
EPEAT’s manufacturer subscribers must annually report on their sales of all EPEAT registered products. The lifecycle environmental benefits of those sales are calculated using the Electronics Environmental Benefits Calculator(EEBC), developed under a grant from U.S. EPA. Here are the highlights from EPEAT’s 2011 Environmental Benefits Report:
Measurable benefits for the environment
Over their lifetime, compared to products that do not meet EPEAT criteria, the more than 120 million EPEAT registered notebooks, desktops, and monitors purchased worldwide in 2011 will:
- Reduce use of primary materials by 4.4 million metric tons, equivalent to the weight of 14 Empire State Buildings
- Reduce use of toxic materials, including mercury, by 1,381 metric tons, equivalent to the weight of 266 elephants
- Eliminate use of enough mercury to fill 1,007,761 household mercury fever thermometers
- Avoid the disposal of 74,082 metric tons of hazardous waste, equivalent to the weight of 7 Eiffel Towers
- Eliminate the equivalent of more than 76,262 US households’ annual solid waste—50,976 metric tons
EPEAT’s requirement that registered products meet the latest ENERGY STAR specifications means these products will consume less energy throughout their useful life, resulting in:
- Savings of over 12 billion kWh of electricity—enough to power 963,716 US homes for a year
- Avoidance of 9 million metric tons of air emissions (including greenhouse gas emissions) and over 16 thousand metric tons of water pollutant emissions
- Reduction of over 2.2 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions— equivalent to taking over 1.6 million average US passenger cars off the road for a year
Access previous years’ Environmental Benefits reports.
Electronics Environmental Benefits Calculator (EEBC)
To calculate the environmental benefits from the purchase of a specific EPEAT-registered product, use the Electronics Environmental Benefits Calculator (EEBC).