Engaging EPEAT PRE for Product Registration
- Buy a copy of the applicable product standard from IEEE (Search for ‘1680’ at http://www.techstreet.com/ieeegate.html) IEEE 1680 lays out the functioning of the EPEAT system – IEEE 1680.1 contains the environmental criteria for EPEAT registered notebook and desktop computers and computer displays. Review the criteria and “Verification Requirements” carefully. Staff responsible for product declarations should also familiarize themselves with the EPEAT Conformity Assessment Protocols.
- Verify that EPEAT PRE provides product registration service in the countries where you wish to sell your products and promote them as EPEAT registered.
- Download the EPEAT PRE Product Registration and Maintenance Agreement, the Fee Schedule, and the Subscriber Set-up Form:
- EPEAT PRE Product Registration and Maintenance Agreement
- EPEAT PRE Subscriber Set-up Form
- Personal Computer Products 1680.1 PRE Fees (7-1-12 to 6-30-13)
- Personal Computer Products 1680.1 PRE Fees (7-1-13 to 6-30-14)
- Imaging Equipment 1680.2 PRE Fees (10-2012 to 6-30-14)
- Televisions 1680.3 PRE Fees (10-2012 to 6-30-14)
- Sign and return the Agreement and Set-up Form to EPEAT. You may scan it and email it, fax it to USA (503) 279-9381, or post paper copies to the address on the agreement.
- Pay the fee as identified in the current EPEAT MSE Fee Schedule via check or EFT. The fee allows your company to register an unlimited number of products for one year in the covered countries. (We can send an invoice upon request.)
- When EPEAT receives the Agreement, the Set-up form, and the payment from your company, we will send your company EPEAT Administrator an email that will include a user name and password to log into the registry application.
- Your company EPEAT Administrator can then log into the product registry and set up your company’s account (including adding company administrators and users). You must include at minimum one Primary Contact and one Billing Contact.
- Use the on-line registry application to register products against the EPEAT 1680.1 criteria. NOTE: Some criteria relate to company-wide programs that cover all of a Subscriber’s registered products. A Company Administrator must declare to all the required corporate criteria before any individual products can be registered. These criteria must be declared annually and should be reviewed regularly.
- To ensure accuracy, each Subscriber’s first registrations are subject to “Desk Review” by PRE staff. During this process the Subscriber must answer questions about the product declaration(s) and may need to provide evidence for declarations consistent with the 1680.1 standard’s Verificaiton Evidence requirements. Desk review may last several days to several months, depending on the Subscriber’s ability to support the accuracy of their declarations.
- When EPEAT PRE staff are confident that the declaration is sound, they will forward the registration(s) to the MSE for inclusion in the public EPEAT registry.
- If/when Subscribers demonstrate their competence at making accurate declarations they may be granted the ability to register products without prior review and approval. However EPEAT can re-institute desk review for any subscriber at any time if warranted.
- EPEAT PRE carries out ongoing and frequent verification investigations. All Subscriber manufacturers must be prepared at any time to provide verification evidence supporting any criterion claimed in their product registrations in response to a request from EPEAT PRE staff or contractors.
If you have questions about this process, EPEAT’s applicability in your market or other issues – please contact us.