EPEAT®-registered products meet strict environmental criteria that address the full product lifecycle, from energy conservation and toxic materials to product longevity and end-of-life management. EPEAT-registered products offer a reduced environmental impact across their lifecycles.
Over their lifetime, the 757 million EPEAT-registered electronics purchased globally since 2006 will deliver significant environmental benefits. Compared to products not meeting EPEAT criteria, these electronics will result in the reduction of more than 528,000 metric tons of hazardous waste, the elimination of enough mercury to fill 4.6 million fever thermometers, and will reduce solid waste by the equivalent of 248,000 U.S. households’ annual waste.
These lifecycle benefits and others are calculated using the Electronics Environmental Benefits Calculator, developed under a grant from the U.S. EPA. The Calculator is available near the bottom of this EPA webpage.
EPEAT’s Participating Manufacturers must annually report on their sales of all EPEAT registered products. Here are the highlights from the EPEAT 2013 Environmental Benefits Report:
Measurable benefits for the environment
Over their lifetime, compared to products that do not meet EPEAT criteria, the more than 114 million EPEAT-registered electronics purchased worldwide in 2013 alone will:
- Reduce use of primary materials by 4.5 million metric tons, equivalent to the weight of 14 Empire State Buildings
- Reduce use of toxic materials, including mercury, by 0.6 metric tons, equivalent to enough mercury to fill nearly 1.1 million household mercury fever thermometers
- Avoid the disposal of 65,000 metric tons of hazardous waste, equivalent to the weight of 7 Eiffel Towers
- Eliminate the equivalent of more than 84,000 U.S. households’ annual solid waste—158,000 metric tons
EPEAT’s requirement that registered products meet the latest ENERGY STAR specifications means these products will consume less energy throughout their useful life, resulting in:
- Savings of over 12 billion kWh of electricity—enough to power 1,007,721 U.S. homes for a year
- Avoidance of more than 20 million kilograms of water pollutant emissions
- Reduction of nearly 2.2 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions— equivalent to taking more than 1.5 million average U.S. passenger cars off the road for a year
To calculate the environmental benefits from the purchase of a specific EPEAT-registered product, use the Electronics Environmental Benefits Calculator (EEBC).
Previous Years’ Environmental Benefits Reports
2011 Environmental Benefits Report
2010 Environmental Benefits Report
2009 Environmental Benefits Report
2008 Environmental Benefits Report
2007 Environmental Benefits Report