GEC has updated our Conformity Assurance policies and procedures to better align with international standards including ISO/IEC 17020 and ISO/IEC 17065.
Several new and revised procedures are now available on the web as well as in the Key Documents under My Account. These new and revised procedures don’t present major changes to the EPEAT System. Primarily, they further clarify the roles and responsibilities of CABs (formerly known as PREs) and of GEC as the scheme owner of EPEAT. They do introduce some new requirements in the Conformity Assurance process without changing the underlying principles of Conformity Assurance in EPEAT.
- P8 Procedure on Complaints and Appeals—this revised procedure specifies how GEC, as scheme owner of EPEAT, handles complaints. It introduces specific requirements for how CABs must handle complaints relating to registered as well as timeframes for when Manufacturers may make an appeal.
- P15 Verification Procedure—this revised procedure describes GEC’s roles and responsibilities relating to Verification, including the roles and responsibilities of the Conformity Decision Panel. It clarifies the steps in the corrective action phase, and specifies how Manufacturers and their CABs handle “similarly affected products”
- P16 CAB Manual: Requirements of EPEAT Conformity Assurance—this new procedure formalizes GEC’s expectations of approved CABs by specifying the minimum requirements for CABs as they perform conformity assurance in the EPEAT system. It is a complementary document to EPEAT Requirements of CABs, which specifies organizational requirements for CABs. P16 sets out requirements on using “Priority Criteria” to perform less than 100% Desk Review of their client Manufacturers. The current list of Priority Criteria is available on under “Key Documents” of “My Account”
- P28 Procedure on Misuse of the Mark and Misleading Claims—this new procedure specifies the actions taken by GEC when Manufacturers don’t adhere to the EPEAT Style Guide when identifying EPEAT registered products
Please note that these revised procedures supersede the following procedures:
- P8 supersedes QP32 (Procedure for Complaints), QP04 (Procedure for A Subscriber to Appeal PVC Finding) and QP15 (Subscriber Appeal of a PVC Decision to Reject a Corrective Action).
- P 15 supersedes QP10 (Verification System Map); QP14 (Annual Verification Planning Procedure); QP02 (Verification Investigation Procedure); QP06 (Verification Round Planning Procedure) and QP03 (Verification Round Corrective Action Procedure)
- P16 supersedes QP18 (Procedure for Desk Review); QP20 (Subscriber New Product Registration).
These procedures will be effective as of January 1, 2016. Please take time to review these and make updates to your internal procedures as needed.
GEC has also made a number of policy and procedure changes that relate to our management of EPEAT that do not directly affect CABs or Manufacturers. You can read more about these policies and procedures in the updated scheme documents “EPEAT Program Guidelines” and “EPEAT Product Registration System”